Media/News
Stary Norton Halphen & Galbally is a highly regarded Melbourne criminal law firm regularly featured in Australian media for its expertise in criminal defence and high-profile criminal cases . Explore the latest news, legal commentary, and media coverage involving our criminal lawyers and landmark cases.
Ted Baillieu fleeced of $18,000 by former staffer
A trusted member of former Victorian premier Ted Baillieu's staff who defrauded more than $18,000 from his personal cheque account – and forged his signature to do so – has pleaded guilty to four deception charges.
Terror financing charges against Melbourne pizza shop worker dropped
Prosecutors drop terror financing charges against Melbourne pizza shop worker Hassan El Sabsabi, 24, after insufficient evidence; Supreme Court decision ends case relating to alleged funds sent to IS and Jabhat al Nusra.
Anzac Day terrorism charges against Huran Causevic dropped
Charges against Melbourne teenager Harun Causevic, accused of plotting an Anzac Day terrorist attack, will be dropped today, his lawyer says. Rob Stary says Commonwealth terrorism charges will be withdrawn at court, though a weapons offence will remain.
Murder plot by deaf couple and friend captured on CCTV, court told
Georgia Fields, 19, of Ferntree Gully, walked free from the Supreme Court today on bail despite allegations she plotted to kill her boyfriend’s disabled, deaf flatmate; her lawyer said she poses no community risk, will live with family and follow a strict curfew.
Geelong court: OMG, drivers feared brick attack
Andrew Zingler, for Julian, said his client had a significant psychiatric history and, in the days leading up to the Mr Zingler said Julian had been a cannabis user for 35 years and planned to be drug free when released from jail.
Melbourne teacher wrongly imprisoned for child abuse demands investigation
Criminal lawyer Robert Stary—acting a year after Ms Greensill's conviction—says that in 30 years of practice it's rare to be so strident about a client's innocence.
Minson to take on Giants after successful appeal
The ruckman's advocate, Sam Norton, asked the Appeals Board for leniency, noting that Minson had pleaded guilty and apologised to Chrystie on the ground and again before Tuesday night's Tribunal hearing.
Alleged jihadis could be offered bail support program
Alleged jihadis would have access to religious guidance, education and psychological assessment under a bail support program being developed in Melbourne.
Epping man accused of trying to join fight against Islamic State granted bail
A Melbourne security guard and homelessness volunteer accused of attempting to travel to the Middle East to join the fight against the Islamic State has been released on bail.
Man declares his innocence after being charged with the murder of his wife
The elderly husband who has been charged with the murder of two women in Victoria nearly 24 years ago, one of them being his wife, has described the accusations as 'bizarre'.
Geelong West man uses stolen credit card on booze and fast food
Seven men from Geelong's soccer community, including Luka Jurkovic and Oscar Cosic, avoided conviction for performing a Nazi salute.
Melbourne man charged with funding Islamic State 'defending innocent brothers and sisters'
Under questioning from Mr Stary, the detective conceded that none of Mr El Sabsabi's alleged offending included any instances of violent conduct and that he had cooperated with authorities.
Judge finds sex offender needs rehabilitation rather than jail
As part of his submissions, defence lawyer Lou Richter included a judgment from more than 20 years ago by the then-chief justice John Harber Phillips on an appeal by the man's father against his 23-year jail sentence for sex crimes.
Activists promise to be good after Parliament protest
Jesse Smith told Deputy Chief Magistrate Lance Martin that the legislation provided "dramatically expanded, draconian and unprecedented police powers.
The politics of "home-grown terror" in Australia
Defence lawyer, Rob Stary discusses the political context of latest anti-terror raids, past cases based on entrapment and dubious evidence, and the danger of new legislative norms creeping into the realm of industrial relations and protest policing.
Australia launches anti-terrorism offensive
Robert Stary warns travellers face high risk of arrest and detention abroad, forced to prove innocence with no recompense even if exonerated — a grave injustice that demands legal awareness and protection.
Napthine government to introduce sexting laws
Chair of the Law Institute of Victoria's criminal law section Sam Norton said: “Young people were placed on the sex offenders register and had their career ruined. These changes are to be applauded.
Death driver sentenced to six years
Defence lawyer Sam Norton had said that his client's relationship with a woman had ended on Christmas Eve and in a letter to the court Davis apologised to the Hussain family.
Conviction threatens international career of champion bocce player Ivan Pepe
Katarina Ljubicic submitted her young client had shown "extraordinary insight" into his offending which had had a "profound impact on him".
'Mr Big' police sting tactic faces legal threat
Melbourne lawyer Rob Stary agreed, saying Mr Big stings have been criticised for years. The police tactic created by Canadian police in the 1990s was adopted in Victoria to solve at least four unsolved murders.